Caught in the Act

Running dangerously low on coffee, I put in a good morning of work and then headed out just after 12:30. I walked to the Fisherman’s Monument to grab a bus and as I did, a group of six tourists passed me sounding very unsure of how to get back to their hotel and nervous that they hadn’t seen an auriga (pickup truck taxi) in some time. I asked where they were going and it was near the marina, so I told them they should just get on the bus. They replied that that’s actually what they wanted to do, but couldn’t remember which one or where to grab it.

I ask if they were looking for the Camarón-Sábalo bus and they said yes. Then were very happy to learn they were at the right place to catch it and that they’d be saving at least 40 if not 60 pesos, on top of having an adventure for the grandkids about taking a city bus in Mexico. I waved the bus down for them, helped them buy tickets, and told them to hang on to their tickets in case an inspector came on board. They met other people from their hotel on the bus, so they were fine from that point on. I wish I’d thought to ask people about the bus a lot sooner than I did last year as I wasted a lot of money taking taxis to and from the Golden Zone!

I got off in front of the Santander bank almost next to Mary’s, which is almost next to Rico’s. Thankfully, Rico’s had Veracruz dark roast so my long journey had not been in vain.

Next stop was supposed to be the Thai restaurant, but they’re on my barred list now as well because they are rarely open when they say they will be open. 🙁 It’s twice now that I’ve purposely arrived 1.5 hours after they are suppose to open and they weren’t. Friends of mine here on Isla have made the trip there multiple times to have the same thing happen to them. Shame because the food is so good. I regretted organising my schedule around theirs today because there I was at almost 3:00 p.m., ravenous, and not near any other really affordable food except for the taco place. I actually wasn’t in the mood for tacos, but went there anyway and had their “huarache loco al pastor,” which was a soft maize base topped with beans, al pastor meat, and cheese, serve with avocado and lettuce (and a bunch of salsas). It was about three times as big as I would have expected for the price, so I didn’t come close to finishing it. Al pastor meat is different in Maz than what I’ve tried in Durango and Mérida and I like this version best!

Since I was in the area, I stopped in at Mega in the hope of finding hummus. And did I! They had just stocked up and they had dozens of tubs of all sorts of flavours all with an expiry date of a couple of days past when I need to be out of the country next month! I grabbed six giant tubs (four plain, two roasted red pepper) as well as a huge packet of pita and headed for the checkout. As I was waiting patiently for the person in front of me to pay, I heard behind me, “What is that?!” in Spanish.

I turned and burst out laughing when I saw my server from Ta’Loco! I explained that it’s hummus, an Arabic snack or spread (untable) and gave the list of ingredients. He said it looked like ice cream and I laughed and said no, it’s salty. I gave him tips on how to eat it and said that I love it for breakfast. His reply, “I learn something new every day. But I don’t like new foods!”

I was still chuckling as I headed out of Mega. I mean, what are the odds that someone I know would be in line behind me while I’m buying enough hummus to get me through the apocalypse?!

Having an errand to run around the Mercado, I caught the bus back to Centro. It was standing room only most of the way and I was glad to get there. First stop was the agua fresca vendor I favour and I asked if she had smaller sizes than a litre. Yes! The smaller glass wasn’t as good value, but it made more sense. Thirst quenched (and guayaba craving satisfied), I visited several magazine vendors looking for something for a friend, but struck out. I did get a nice pair of earrings from my favourite vendor. She hadn’t had anything I liked in a while, so I was pleased about that. She recognised that I was wearing one of her pairs. At $10 a pair (yes, pesos!), they’re fantastic value.

Nearly done in, I schlepped to my last stop of the day, Ley, and had to resist buying out all their pineapple coconut yoghurt since it was half price! What a deal!

I found this at Ley:


Looks like a spiny chayote? Anyone know what it was? I asked a guy, but he was too busy laughing at me poking at it to see if it was spiny like a cactus (almost) to be of any help!

My bags were pretty heavy by this point, so I decided to treat myself to a pulmonía since there was one right there. It would have been cheaper to take one on this side instead, but the walk on this side doesn’t have hills!

Oh, and if anyone is paying attention to what I said in my last post, I came home without headphones. 🙁 The brand Croft directed me too is too cheap for me to take a chance on. Soriana and Mega’s electronic departments had nothing. I think it may be easier (and cheaper) to find someone capable of fixing them than to buy another pair. Very frustrating.

I think I’ll call today a draw since I came home with hummus, coffee, and earrings, but without Pad Thai, a magazine, or headphones!

11 thoughts on “Caught in the Act

  1. Sorry about the bad lead on the headphones. They looked pretty industrial in the photo but it is also hard to tell from a photo. It may be quite cheap to have them repaired if you can find a place to take them.

    • Oh, but I appreciated the lead! The reviews are just too poor, though, for something I’d be using every day.

      Still wishing I had tools so I could try to fix them myself. 🙁

  2. Thank you for trying to find my magazine! If you ever seen any with him in it, I’d be happy to have them.

  3. Pingback: Not the Best Day to Go to the Movies |

Comments are closed.